Sunday, January 8, 2012

Book Review: The Vampire Academy Series


The Vampire Academy- Richelle Mead

synopsis-
Two races of vampires walk our world. The Moroi are alive and wield elemental magical, while the Strigoi are undead and evil--feeding on the innocent to survive. Rose Hathaway--a half-vampire with poor impulse control--is training to be a bodyguard for a Moroi princess. Learning to decapitate and stake is hard enough, but Rose's real danger may lie in an illicit romance with one of her instructors... (Source: Author's website)

I have to say, this series was amazing. I have gotten over the vampire trend, moving on to other books to read. I came across these and decided to give it a try, it is not just like every other vampire series out there. It's different, in a good way. Richelle did really well with the writing, she doesn't sugar coat anything, like some other YA authors do.

Rose is the main character, she is a female heroine, but she's got a lot too her, that makes her not typical to most who do have female heroines. Along with Rose, is a whole line of characters, many you will probably fall in love with. Even if they pop up small, they will most likely be back. She doesn't just write them in there then throw them away, they almost always come back. I would like to briefly talk about them, but this would probably end up turning into a novel. There were many that I fell in love with (Adrian, Christan, Mason, Eddie, Sydney, etc.).

I started reading vampire books not too long ago. I believe Twilight was my first (I know, not a good one to start with, but I did move to better ones.). But I am not a vampire fan. However, in this series, there are the "good" and the "bad" vampires, and they are realistic, not the "sparkly" or any other kind. I love how their world is set up, they interact with humans, but live in secret. The Alchemists are a great addition to it as well.

These books feature a lot of themes to them, they are action packed with plots. I started with the first one, by time I got to the third one, I couldn't put them down. I constantly read them, even when I should have been doing other things. I stayed up quite a bit at night as well to read them. They are far from typical vampire books, they are better. Worth your money and your time. I've started the spin off series "Bloodlines", which I can not wait for the second book to come out later this year. However, I'm pretty sure I will be coming back to these books in the near future, as well as purchasing my own print copy of these books to sit on my bookshelf with my other favorite books.


No comments:

Post a Comment